Search This Blog

Friday, April 2, 2010

OUCH!..Here's Your Sign

I was in Fire class today and instructor/sweetheart Amy was talking about yoga positions that open up the throat chakra to improve your communication. Now you have to consider that this is a funny thing to be telling a group of mostly women, seeing as we girls usually do not have trouble finding something to say.
But it caught my attention because of a book I read a few years ago by Christianne Northrup, "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom". She is an ob/gyn who says there is no seperation between mind and body, that in fact what you are feeling physically is a direct manifestation of what you are feeling emotionally. In other words, we store our emotions and thoughts in our bodies. Especially with pain, it is often a signal of emotional baggage that we have not dealt with.
She lists the chakras and suggest the different types of issues associated with certain areas--and boy did she nail it.
One of my re-curring problem spots is in my throat--thyroid, a tendency to go hoarse and a few other issues; and this area is, as Amy mentioned, related to communication. Huh? I am a female, a mom, a type-A personality, a former sales rep and a writer--of all issues, you would think I could take a pass on communication. But it turned out that the true root of my issues--especially at the time I was reading this book, wasn't about not knowing what to say. It was about not feeling heard. I'm sure so many moms know this drill--yelling at the kids, disciplining but seeing no change, circular arguements with your husband that never get you anywhere. I was also facing some extreme challenges with my mom and I was desperately lonely from moving half way across the country. It was really eye opening to
"see" a result of the emotional pain I was pretending not to have.
Realizing that my measuring tape did not read "practically-perfect-in-every-way" was humbling, but it was eventually liberating. My aches and pains are waving their hands and shouting, "Here's your sign." And at moments when I am brave enough to look at the damn sign, it typically has an arrow and reads, "Start here," putting me on a path of honesty leading to real healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment