Search This Blog

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Winter Blahs and Band-aids

OK, the grey sky is seeping into my soul. This little light of mine peeks it's head out after hot yoga for about an hour before sulking back into the mist of winter. Ugh. I don't know how anyone endures this for more than a few months. My hats off to them.
So my oldest little boo broke his collarbone at school tripping over his own feet. It's true you can't keep a good man down. He is bouncing, running and harrassing his brothers (at risk to his own health) through it all. I guess this is just a live-through-this moment in time.
Finally the scale has moved and The Grand Total is -4 lbs. Not earth shattering, but enough to give me hope. I needed it after last weekend's back slide into cookie dough. You won't believe, I actually ate a sweet potatoe for lunch yesterday--wha.? Maybe there is hope for me afterall, or maybe they can just figure out how to make alcohol healthy. Where are the forward-thinking scientists when you need them?
I gave up a list of things for Lent and cookie dough was definitely a bigfat NO. So when I confessed to hubbie that I slipped, he just replied, "That's alright. You'll only burn an extra day for each of those bites." ?!? What a sweetheart!
Say hello to my newest girls!
So to fight the grey I have been reverting to bandaids--boot shopping(clearance sales, whoop whoop, nobel prize for Nordie's and Dillards for giving February a boost), hot yoga and reading Malcolm Gladwell(gladwell.com). Now, I know the last two might seem more like a root canal than a day at the beach, but hear me out.
In regards to reading nonfiction, Gladwell is perfect for inspiring thoughts that have nothing to do with my immediate reality--nerdy escapism if you will. (Yes, I definitely have closet nerd in me.) Also, in his book The Tipping Point, he outlines three different personality types that drive social epidemics. It has gotten me thinking that many of us may over-state the importance of A TALENT--musical, artistic, athletic--in evaluating our worth, because who you are at your core might be even more influential than you know.
And... I had a yoga epiphany yesterday, or actually it was given to me by the divine yogii Amy. While Bikram yoga has been referred to as the torture chamber, she pointed out that by allowing your body to work so incredibly hard, it takes the pressure off your mind giving the ever active and neurotic electrical impulses a little peace. It's true--by focusing on breathe here, balance there, strengthen this, tighten that and bonda where the sun don't shine, it is absolutely impossible to obsess or worry about anything outside of those blue walls. It is optimal timing for that message too, because I was NOT happy during Bow and Locust. http://www.sivananda.org/teachings/asana/locust.html
Funny sidenote, as I was searching for a link for Locust, I literally laughed out loud when I saw the full progression of this position. It is safe to estimate that my feet are probably 2 inches off the ground and probably safer to estimate that they will never, never be anywhere near my head. Hillarious!
So that's how I am trudging through the last days of winter. Any other band-aid ideas would be greatly appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment