Search This Blog

Friday, September 23, 2011

Work on my Destiny or do the dishes?

I am notorious for having too many balls in the air, too many irons in the fire. When I was working from home as a freelance writer, it was my blessing and my downfall. One moment I am working on my book, then taking on a project for a friend, then focusing on charity work, then working on my deadlines, followed by consulting for small companies and querying new magazines for bylines. While it was all exciting, it didn't create momentum to build on in any one given area--and of course I didn't know I was on a path that would lead me back to the corporate world.
With hindsight being what it is, I know that the variety of experience I gained is now invaluable to me, but what can I learn from that now?
Because I can feel it happening again. I am clear about my role at work being to grow our company, but what is the best way to do that and to grow my personal brand and reputation to facilitate that goal?
Blogging, tweeting, Youtubing, prospecting, networking, strategizing, planning, PRing--each one a lofty, fruitful and FULL TIME pursuit if done well. (In addition to the 9-5 business management.)
Funny how I can so easily see and develop the path for my clients and friends, yet for myself, I am standing in their shoes looking at a jumble of "want-to's" and "need-to's" all lumped into one messy, mental pile.
I believe from a spiritual perspective (that leads into the secular) that desire determines destiny. I know it, I can feel it, I desire it. So how do I focus that desire into manageable action? Thus far, "destiny" has certainly been an S-shaped road--and yet I keep searching for the straight and narrow.
What is a gal to do? For now, keep taking single steps forward, whichever direction they may be in.

No comments:

Post a Comment